Kelli S. Hendryx Memorial Physical Therapy
This scholarship fund was started in March of 2015 by Jeff Hendryx (Kelli's husband), and his daughters, Holly and Chelsie, after Kelli's passing. The fund is intended to provide an annual scholarship to a Morton High School Senior who is pursuing a degree in Physical Therapy. The scholarship is currently $1,000.
Kelli Hendryx was a very outgoing, generous, and kind woman who had a passion for life. She spent many years dedicating her life to education and enjoyed a very active lifestyle. While raising both of her daughters, she loved attending their many extra curriculums and volunteering at their schools and activities.
Unexpectedly, in December 2010, Kelli suffered from a ruptured brain aneurysm. Fortunately, for Kelli’s family, she survived surgery to repair the aneurysm but the severity of the bleed created many complications. Over the course of the next 4 years, Kelli received countless surgeries to try to repair the damage that had been done. Unfortunately, the surgeries also had negative effects on her leaving her partially paralyzed from the waist down.
Due to Kelli’s active lifestyle, before this condition, she had a hard time accepting her immobility, but never lost sight of her dream of being able to walk again. That’s when Kelli immersed herself into physical therapy in hopes of reaching her goal one day of being able to walk again. After several years and many tireless hours of dedication from her and a team of physical therapists Kelli stood up between two parallel bars and took her first steps again. It was the first steps of many that she would be able to take. Kelli was extremely thankful for all the hard work the therapists and their assistants spent on her.
Sadly, in January 2015, Kelli passed away. Although her family is left with a huge hole where her vibrant personality once was, we are forever grateful to the physical therapists who helped to make our mother’s dreams come true. Which is why, we as a family, would like to help an aspiring therapist with this scholarship in our mother’s honor.
Qualifications for this Scholarship:
- Must be a senior at Morton High School who has demonstrated academic success by having achieved a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited, degree-granting college or university (minimum of 12 credit hours) for the following academic year, with intentions of pursuing a degree in Physical Therapy.
- Has demonstrated the following attributes: Positive attitude, Encourages others, Charitable, Hard working, Compassionate, High moral character, Role model to underclassmen.
- Preference will be given to students who have been involved in school activities and/or have volunteered in various ways both at school, and in the community.
- Must include an essay of 500 words or less addressing the following: "Why I want to pursue a career in Physical Therapy", and "Reasons why this career is important to me..."
- Financial need may be considered but is not the primary consideration in the selection process.
- Contact the MHS Counseling office for information on this and other MHS scholarships.
If you would like to make a tax deductible donation to this endowment fund, please click the button below for online donations. Be sure to designate the Kelli Hendrix Physical Therapy Scholarship. Or, you can mail a check to 105 E. Jefferson Street, Morton, IL 61550.