The Morton Soccer Scholarship
This fund was started in October of 2010 by a committee of volunteers who organized a celebration of the 25th year of Morton High School Soccer. The Morton Soccer Scholarship Fund has been established to assist students who have participated in various Morton soccer programs with college expenses, and to encourage their participation as adults in community youth soccer programs.
In 1978 a short notice in the local newspaper invited elementary through junior high aged children to attend a soccer clinic. Soccer wasn't a sport that people in Morton knew much about, but they were soon to learn. Mike Witzig, was the person that put that notice in the newspaper and got the ball rolling. Craig Barley, is another Mortonite who helped get the youth programs started and helped establish, and later gather financial support for the first high school team that was established in 1986.
In the Fall of 2010, a committee of volunteers, including Barley & Witzig, organized a celebration of the 25th year of Morton High School Soccer. As a part of this celebration, they raised money from individuals, businesses, donations from both Blaze Soccer and Morton Youth Soccer Organization as well as from T-Shirt sales, to establish this permanently endowed soccer scholarship.
According to the scholarship rules, the recipient each year must be a graduating senior who has played soccer in Morton - either MYSO, Blaze or at the high school - and who agrees to coach, referee or serve on the board of a youth soccer organization for at least two years sometime in the future - a way to “pay it forward”.
The scholarship is awarded each May at the MHS Academic and Leadership Awards night held at the Bertha Frank Performing Arts Center. Applications may be submitted beginning in early March each year. More information and applications are available through the Morton High School counseling office.
Qualifications for this Scholarship:
- Must have participated in MYSO or Morton Blaze soccer for at least three (3) years, or have played on either the Boys or Girls soccer team at Morton High School for at least one (1) year.
- Must be a senior at Morton High School who has demonstrated academic success by having achieved a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited, degree-granting college or university (minimum of 12 credit hours) for the following academic year.
- Agrees to become a volunteer coach or official in a community youth soccer program for two years when his/her life circumstances permit.
- Has demonstrated the following attributes: Positive attitude, Excellent teamwork, Encourages others, Charitable, Compassionate, Role model to underclassmen.
- Has submitted the appropriate application, including an essay of 500 words or less addressing the following topics: What I have learned through participating in soccer; How I will be able to apply what I’ve learned in the future; and, How I intend to be involved in a community youth soccer program.
- Financial need may be considered but is not the primary consideration in the selection process.
- Contact the MHS Counseling office for information on this and other MHS scholarships.
If you would like to make a tax deductible donation to this endowment fund, please click the button below for online donations. Be sure to designate the Morton Soccer Scholarship Fund. Or, you can mail a check to 105 E. Jefferson Street, Morton, IL 61550.